REACH Edmonton is hiring a data scientist to work with the Resiliency Project team on finding digital and online solutions to preventing violent extremism and radicalisation.
The Resiliency Project is a collaboration between partners, including the City of Edmonton, Edmonton Police Service, and the Organization for the Prevention of Violence. Its aim is to work with the public to prevent and counter violent extremism through awareness, education, research, and both online and offline intervention.
The project is working on three interconnected pillars: training and public education; public engagement; and digital / online solutions. The project’s work is specifically focused on the “pre-criminal space” and approaches the topic of violent extremism from a public health and crime prevention lens. The project will also be identifying local resources for those who are being radicalized and help to identify and supplement any service-provision gaps identified. The Resiliency Project is using research in the field of countering violent extremism (CVE) from around the world to inform the project’s development. The operations team is in contact with other practitioners in the field across Canada in an effort to stay current on other similar CVE strategies in the country.
The Data Scientist has an exciting portfolio of work involving:
- Developing analytical solutions; apply mathematical and statistical modeling approaches to various problems that lead to actionable decisions affecting operations
- Proposing, designing and analyzing new algorithms that can be applied within operational settings
- Transforming data into actionable insights to drive innovation and modernization
- Maximizing operational efficiency through the organization of large amounts of data and development of models that identify trends and cause-effect relationships
- Leading complex analytical projects, develop project plans and set realistic timelines
- Providing high level consultation services that supports business stakeholders in the conception, planning and implementation of data driven analytical solutions
- Maintaining a deep and wide awareness of developments and new technologies in the field of advanced analytics
- Ensuring proposed solutions align with the Resiliency Project strategic goals
- University Degree in applied statistics, mathematics, engineering, computer science operations research or a related field
- 7 years’ experience in advanced analytics, machine learning, data mining, data visualization and optimization
- Proven track record of applying machine learning techniques and statistics that solve real world issues
- Strong critical thinking, consensus building and influencing skills
- Expertise in multivariate regression/classification, time series models, cluster analysis, anomaly detection, optimization, neural network models and machine learning techniques
- Experience working with big data in real time/near real time with big platforms like Hadoop is an asset
- Experience with relational databases, SQL and scripting languages, data analysis and visualization using tools like Knime, Weka, R, Tableau, Octave
- Demonstrated project management, communication, supervision and leadership skills required
Hours of Work: Full time hours, Monday to Friday
Salary: $85,000 - $120,000 (Annually)
Term: One year contract term with the possibility of renewing for up to two more years.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com before 4 p.m. on February 1, 2019.