All in for Youth (AIFY)
REACH Edmonton is proud to co-backbone the All in for Youth initiative with the United Way Alberta Capital Region.
This first-of-its-kind local initiative focuses on getting children and youth successfully through their education years and on to high school graduation.
All in for Youth brings together programs and services in a new way to help every child achieve their very best, by providing support to them and their families. By taking care of critical needs now, we stand a far better chance of helping them get through tough times, build skills and set children up for academic success.
Fact: 1 in 5 Edmonton students do not complete high school within three years.
When families are struggling, they often lack funds or connections to get them the help they need. All in for Youth combines the services of other programs - Partners for Kids, Schools as Community Hubs and Out-of-School-Time.
This new one-stop program is seeing schools, government, community partners, corporations and funding supporters working together to create the best environment for children to succeed.
Three-year plan: Helping thousands of kids in five demonstration schools
All in for Youth supports children from Kindergarten through Grade 12 and is currently being piloted in five inner-city demonstration schools where there is a high need for services:
- St. Alphonsus Elementary/Junior High
- John A. McDougall Elementary
- Delton Elementary
- Spruce Avenue Junior High
- Eastglen High School
All in for Youth removes barriers to learning, helping students and families in five ways:
- Ensuring all students are confident and accomplished in reading and writing
- Delivering nutritious food programs, mentoring and counselling, right in the school
- Offering before and after school programs, as well as programs during fall, spring and summer breaks
- Supporting families through counselling, community resources and adult education
- Providing a positive school culture, with caring staff and high quality teaching
The Goal: To see every child complete high school
All in for Youth is outcome driven and tied to specific academic performance.
These foundational markers will help measure success:
- Kindergarten readiness
- Grade 3 reading level
- Building resiliency
- Successful transition from Junior High to Senior High
- High School completion
Building better futures means benefits for families and our community.
Along with helping children succeed in school and helping their families get stronger, we will see many other benefits:
- Improved social equity for children facing barriers, including children who are Indigenous, immigrants and refugees
- Improved employability of youth and an elevated quality for our workforce
- Contributions toward ending the cycle of poverty
- Reduced costs to taxpayers of remedial education, health care, social supports, etc.
Collaborating to Help Children Succeed
This innovative program is made possible through the dedication of social sector partners and municipal government - all committed to being All in for Youth and families.
- Boys and Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area
- City of Edmonton - Family and Community Support Services
- Edmonton Catholic Schools
- Edmonton Public Schools
- Edmonton Community Foundation
- REACH Edmonton
- The Family Centre
- United Way of the Alberta Capital Region