COALITIONS CREATING EQUITY
Coalitions Creating Equity (CCE) is a provincial initiative that aims to combat incidences of hate, racism and discrimination. Participating regions included Wood Buffalo, Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary and Lethbridge. CCE Communities of Practice are informal groups of diverse people who come together to learn, share practices, and co-create knowledge given the high rate of hate incidents, and systemic barriers Indigenous, black, people of colour face.
• In 2020, the CCE released their Response Model to Hate which includes recommended protocols and resources for reporting hate incidents in various contexts.
• Through CCE, there is an increased social awareness of the value of reporting hate crimes.
• In 2020, REACH received funds to work in partnership with John Humphrey Centre for Peace & Human Rights and Alberta Hate Crime Committee. The goals of the project are to address on-line hate provincially, increase the number of trained facilitators’ capacity to provide training for community stakeholders, and to provide provincial education sessions on Understanding and Responding to Hate on the Front line.
• CCE Edmonton continues to convene groups invested in furthering equity work to address anti-racism supporting the work of the City of Edmonton’s Racism Advisory Committee.
• A key outcome of the work of CCE Edmonton was the development of a response tool that front line service providers can use to support people who have experienced a hate incident, racism or discrimination.
“Before, different groups were working in isolation. CCE provides a way for people to collaborate. CCE is doing a great job, needs to be permanent - provides a space for different voices.”
- CCE Edmonton member
VISIT THE CCE WEBSITE: